I’m all about basics, the fundamental, disciplines that are at the core of every successful person. All the touchy, feely steps won’t do you a bit of good until you master the basics.
Learn to walk before you run!
- Personal Compromise: This is the key to all success. The answer to this question is the heart and soul of all success: WHAT are you willing to give up to get what you want? Clearly knowing the answer to this will set the map for everything you achieve from that point forward.
- Work hard. You’ll get nowhere unless you’re willing to work hard. Hard work replaces talent every day.
- Set and Read Goals. Set clear written goals and read them twice a day! Goals mean nothing unless they’re on paper. Goals will keep you focused on what you’re working so hard for!
- Positive Self Talk: Sometimes success means believing in yourself when it feels like no one else in the world does; your family, best friends, spouse, employers, co-workers or grandma. You must have a dream, a vision that you believe in and you must do everything you can to assure yourself every minute, hour and a day that you can do it no matter what any one else might say.
- Prioritize your time. Every night before you go to bed plan your next day. Prioritize your tasks and only do those things with the highest consequence. Never do things that have no meaning in the scope of your goals. You can be busy or you can choose to be productive. Never all the most important things to be at the mercy of the least important things.
- Learn to Listen. Learn to be a world class listener and practice it every day. I believe it is the lost art of business today. Everyone wants to tell. If you learn to just shut up and listen it’s amazing what people will tell you. I believe that people will TELL you exactly how to deal with them for a win-win solution.
- Focus: The #1 trait/skill that many recruiters look for in an employee/executive is the ability to complete a single task. The average millennial check their mobile device a minimum of 18 times an hour. Reports now say the mind takes 17 minutes to get back into focus after an “interruption”. With those facts on the table many people are never back in focus. Discipline your self and manage your electronic “interruptions” and you’ll get 10x more done in a day.
- Learn. Never stop learning. Ever.
- Surround Yourself with Smart People. Don’t let your ego get in the way. Let me clue you in; you don’t know everything. Seek out advice, get a coach, surround yourself with smart people. Find people who have struggled and then made it. Find people who have already made the mistakes that you’re bound to make on your current path. It’s amazing the people you’ll meet and what you’ll learn. They’re out there, you just have to find them.
- Do What You Love. The discipline and focus and effort required to be successful is totally hinged to loving what you do. Look, life is too short not to be doing something that you love. So, if you hate what you do, work hard at it but work just as hard finding what you love to do. Find that thing that you can leave a legacy by doing and then give it everything you have.
If you need some help give me a call or write. This is what I do as a Master Business Coach. I’m ready.