It’s no secret how I feel about sales! The skills necessary to be good at selling are all things that you can learn as long as you understand and admit that we’re all in sales, whether you work directly in the business or not. Everyone sells and the skills are foundational to any level of success.
I recently found an article in the online pages of Inc. by Geoffrey James. Mr. James recalled a conversation he had recently had with Tom Black, the author of “The Boxcar Millionaire.” The conversation was about the importance of “having the right attitude” to be successful. Mr. Black gave him a list of personal beliefs that he’s observed in top salespeople. The (always) interesting thing to me is that this list applies to the positive attitudes necessary to be in business; to be an entrepreneur; to be a successful athlete; and yes, to be in sales.
So here you go. Here’s that list, slightly edited.
- I believe that people are as happy as they want to be.
- I am persistent even in the face of disappointment.
- I constantly improve my knowledge and skills.
- I think BIG even when I’m dealing with the small-minded.
- I am truly committed to being of service to others.
- I am willing to leave my comfort zones.
- I am a consummate professional and behave accordingly.
- I accept change as a part of life, willingly and completely.
- I make decisions quickly and then take immediate action.
- I take full responsibility for my performance.
I dare you to print this off and use it as a personal checklist based on what you believe. You might be surprised how you think when you’re really honest with yourself.
You might also be surprised at how easy it might be to shift and adjust your thinking to make life a lot more fulfilling! It doesn’t take much, just the honesty and determination to make a change, even if it’s just a little bit the difference you make in your world could be great.
If you need some help with making some changes let me know. That’s what I do and I’m open for business. Give me a call or write today!
Until then, Be GREAT!