Life really sucks if you believe it does. Or this can be the most significant time for opportunity and growth than any other time in history if you think it does. Through all we’ve gone through, I know people who have struggled mightily and know people who are setting records personally and professionally. I have written many times about the two kinds of mindsets I see on a day-to-day basis. The first is the survival mindset. It puts you into a mode of just trying to get by. You’re afraid of everything that might happen to you, and you’re fanning the flames of fear-based upon the level of your media consumption. The second mindset is one of Possibility. You understand that there is an equal amount of opportunity in every crisis that humankind has ever experienced. You need to believe that opportunity exists and then be prepared to act.
My action plan moving forward is to commit to the possibility mindset once again. That commitment requires us to live in a particular way, every day, no matter what is going on in our world. Here are just a few of my commitments.
- I will make no excuses. If it is to be it is up to me.
- I will continuously evaluate with whom I spend time. I will not tolerate negative people or thoughts to be in my life. If they enter my life, it is my responsibility to eliminate them.
- I will encourage at least one person each day
- I will seek out a new opportunity for personal or professional growth each day
- I will envision success in all I do.
- I will be better, not bitter, in moments of adversity.
I will stay open-minded
- I will not be intimidated by taking thoughtful risks. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
- I will do something today for someone who cannot give me anything in return.
- I will relish the chance to be a standard for others.
- I will always have a vision and precise, aggressive, written goals that I read at least twice a day.
- My life will have a focus on being a servant leader.
Early in my career, I had a mentor who gave me advice that I believe is the key to building a servant focused business, lifestyle, and the possibility mindset. He said, “Never look at your prospects or clients as a commission check. Always approach them with an attitude of listening and understanding and helping them. Do that, and one of your rewards will be money.”
I keep a framed quote above my desk that I look at all of the time. It is the words of the inspiring Zig Ziglar. He famously once said, “You will get all you want in life if you help enough other people get what they want.” You don’t help anyone by living a life of fear, negativity, and worry. Make your resolution now, today, to change how you see the world. Change your view, you change your life, and who knows, you might change the world.